Saturday, June 21, 2008

My 6th Grade Poets

My 6th graders wrote me a poem.

It was a surprise. They wrote two acrostic poems, one about Jo and one about me, as sort of a "Thank you" which they read at graduation. We were both totally shocked - I knew they were planning something I couldn't know about, but I thought it was extra verses of a song that I actually did know about. But, I was wrong. It was a poem. I got really emotional, and after the ceremony, as I was congratulating my students, I was going to ask if I could have a copy of the poem, and one girl handed me a copy that they had all already signed. It was an electric, emotional, exciting moment.

Here is the poem in its entirety:

Joel Abramovitz is one a kind, a better teacher is hard to find.

Oh so supportive you have been to everyone in our class, the year we spent together is something that in our hearts will always last.

Excellent at teaching with a new and exciting mind, you are smart, helpful, caring, and kind.

Learned from you this year many things, a positive and interactive way of teaching is something with you you truly bring!

[The last two lines don't fit in the acrostic]

You are leaving to Israel next year, and we will definitely miss you so, but we appreciate all that you've done for us, and we hope that's something you know!

The road of being a teacher you have only just begun, but you have made this year fun for everyone!


I think it was a great year. I'm really proud of what I learned, accomplished, and did. And now... off to Israel!

No comments: