Wednesday, August 1, 2007

three minor celebrities in one day

Let me first start this post with a digital moment of silence for the 7 dead people and 60 injured on the bridge in Minneapolis.


It freaked me out a lot when I first saw the new posting this afternoon. The bridge just... collapsed. It's crazy. It's horrible. just thinking that bridges can just... collapse. It's mind numbing. Scary. I'm never driving on a bridge again.

Anyway, tonight I went to an Ingmar Bergman double feature at the New Beverly Cinema with my friend Liz. Liz is an old friend from BBYO (the youth group I was in during my high school era) and just moved to LA to start grad school at USC film school. So she knows a lot, but is very non-pretentious about it. Anyway, Bergman died on Monday, and yet this double feature had been already on the New Bev schedule. Coincidence? I think so.

So, of course, it was packed. We sat through the first film - The Virgin Spring - despite not being able to read all the subtitles because of the big heads in front of us. The film was excellent, although intense and bleak and with some very strong Christian imagery at the end. We decided a second film (it was Wild Strawberries, for you Bergman fans) was too much, and so we left. We stood outside discussing the movie in a non-pretentious way (as compared to the guy in the tailored suit who threw in comparisons to Citizen Kane, Wagner, and Dostoyevsky in one breath).

Then I see a guy in line who looks familiar, and then I realize he's on the OC (or was on the OC). I pull Liz aside, and in hushed tones, I ask her to calmly look at the guy in the yellow shirt and see if she recognizes him. She says it's Adam Brody. Go me. He's kinda scruffy and has weird eyebrows, but we're pretty sure it's him. And then, a few people behind him, I see the guy who played Harold in Harold and Kumar Go to White Castle. Then we quietly freaked out for about 6 seconds, stopped, and then walked to our cars.

So these two minor celebs, coupled with the fact that I saw CJ from the third season of Top Chef at the Santa Monica Farmer's Market today, makes it a three-celebrity day. I can’t remember the last time I saw a celebrity when I wasn’t ushering. I feel so LA.

1 comment:

David said...

I saw both Harold and Kumar at Royce once.